The goal of Occupational Therapy is also to help our clients achieve their max rehabilitation potential, especially as it relates to activities of daily living. Occupational Therapy and Hand Therapy Services include but are not exclusive to the evaluation and treatment of the following:
- Preventative or Conservative treatment for shoulder and upper extremity injuries.
- Post Surgical Hand Rehabilitation
- Splint fabrication
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Work Conditioning
Benefits of Hand Therapy with Back in Action
Hands may be small, but they are constantly at work for us. Hands are an integral part of nearly everything we do, so hand or wrist joint pain can seriously impact your daily life. An inability to pick up objects or lift anything without getting pain in your wrist or hand makes you want to avoid doing any of your normal daily activities. That’s where hand therapy with Back in Action in Scottsdale and Phoenix can help you restore function and relieve pain.
What is Hand Therapy?
Hand therapy is a type of rehabilitation performed by an occupational or physical therapist on patients with conditions affecting the hands and upper extremities. At Back in Action, hand therapy services are performed by a provider with a high degree of specialization and advanced certification. Certified hand therapists use manual therapy or soft tissue mobilization, hand exercises, custom splinting, retraining, and stretching to regain comfort and function for the hand. The certified hand therapists with Back in Action supply recommendations on how to engage in daily activities with limited hand abilities. This enables the hand therapist to work with patients to hasten their return to a productive lifestyle.
Who is a Candidate for Hand Therapy?
Patients who are candidates for hand therapy, and commonly treated at Back in Action, may have been affected by an accident or trauma leaving them with wounds, scars, burns, injured tendons or nerves, fractures, or even amputations of the fingers, hands or arms. Others include patients who suffer from the effects of conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow, and chronic problems such as arthritis or a neurologic condition.
What are the Benefits of Hand Therapy with Back in Action?
▪ Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment
▪ Management of acute or chronic pain
▪ Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
▪ Sensory re-education after nerve injury
▪ Design and implementation of home exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, and/or strength
▪ Customized splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury (see Figure 1)
▪ Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment
▪ Conditioning prior to returning to work
Hand Therapy Services with Back in Action in Atlanta and Snellville Geaorgia
Our personalized and individualized hand therapy treatment programs effectively and efficiently treat upper extremity conditions, leading to a quick recovery. Offerings include customized splinting and conditions treated range from fractures, nerve compression syndromes, tendon & athletic injuries, arthritis, post-operative reconstruction and wrist, elbow and hand disorders.